Research Associate III, BMB Research Staff
Company: University of Texas Medical Branch
Posted on: June 10, 2021
JOB DESCRIPTION:Conducts a variety of non-routine research
assignments and experiments.
Bachelor's degree in basic science or equivalent and 5 years of
related experience or Master's degree in basic science or
equivalent and 3 years of related experience required.
Specific Job Related Duties:
- Plans, coordinates and directs moderately complex research
experiments following general technical procedures.
- Establishes and oversees quality control measures for assigned
- Makes modification to research procedures as determined by
- Contributes to scientific analysis and interpretation of
- Maintains records of all tests performed and data collected,
compiles and tabulates data, provides analysis of results.
- Confers with lab staff regarding results obtained and receives
suggestions for modification to procedures and interpretation of
- Ensures the accurate assembly, calibration, operation and
modification of a variety of laboratory equipment as defined by
- Makes minor modifications and repairs to equipment as
- Independently performs literature searches as outlined by the
- Oversees lab inventory of supplies and equipment.
- May provide guidance to junior research staff.
- Adheres to internal controls established for department.
- RAIII is required to support on-going transcriptomics and
genomics studies spanning a range of projects in the Routh Lab.
These include projects focused on HIV, coronaviruses, arboviruses
and model-system RNA viruses. Primary responsibilities will be to
support next-generation sequencing efforts including performing
RNA/DNA extractions, NGS library synthesis using standard and our
custom 'ClickSeq' approaches, and dataset management. Secondary
responsibilities may include maintenance and management of viral
stocks (up to BSL2 level) and cell-culture lines. Additionally,
RAIII will have opportunities to help perform single-cell
sequencing analyses and perform in-house sequencing assays using
Oxford Nanopore devices. RAIII will interact with multiple
different groups both within and outside of UTMB and help design
and manage NGS projects supported by multiple collaborative grants
and grants held solely by the Routh Lab.
- Performs related duties as required.
Commensurate with experience
- Animal Science/Care Surgery
- Biological Assays
- Quantitative Analysis
- Qualitative Analysis
- Data Analysis
- Tabulation of Data
- Equipment Calibration
- Technical Writing Experience
Equal Employment Opportunity
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment
without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex,
gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, genetic
information, disability, veteran status, or any other basis
protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local
laws unless such distinction is required by law. As a VEVRAA
Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire
and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals
Keywords: University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston , Research Associate III, BMB Research Staff, Other , Galveston, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!