Company: GALTEX Pilots Service Corporation
Posted on: June 6, 2021
Company Overview: The Galveston Texas City Pilots
Association is charged by the Governor of Texas with overseeing the
safe and efficient movement of foreign flag and registered vessels
into and out of the ports of Galveston County. By interfacing with
ship crews, vessel agents and regulators, the Dispatcher fulfills a
critical role in the success of the companys operation. We seek a
probationary trainee to work with our current Dispatchers to help
with workload management.
Role Objectives: This position assists the fully-qualified
Dispatcher in scheduling and dispatching company assets and/or
services for conveyance of materials and ensures compliance to
DOT/USCG regulations and established internal policies and
guidelines. The dispatcher trainee uses radio, telephone, and
computer to transmit assignments and track operations in progress.
Watches are typically 12-hours continuous, days or nights. The
Dispatcher trainee will be assigned to watches as required to
accomplish the companys mission, and may be reassigned as
- Schedule and dispatch people and vessels to appropriate
locations according to customer or agent requests, specifications,
- Relay orders, messages, and information to or from pilots,
vessel crews, and pilot boats or drivers
- Collect and convey customer feedback using telephones and
- Confer with customers or supervisors to address questions,
problems, or requests for service or equipment
- Advise appropriate parties regarding traffic problems such as
weather, congestion, hazards and conflicting vessel movements.
- Record and maintain files and records of vessel activities,
work performed, expenses, invoices, and other dispatch related
information in multimedia formats and systems
- Other duties and special projects as assigned
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs
and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate
one. Execute tasking in accordance with established policies and
guidelines. Remain responsive to updated tasking by Pilots or
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and
paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Comfortable and professional using VHF radios, telephone and other
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the
strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or
approaches to problems.
- Knowledge of local geographic area
- Basic understanding of the Maritime Industry
- Efficient in Microsoft office products
- High School Diploma (or GED or High School Equivalence
- Bachelors Degree with a maritime focus preferred
- 1-2 years of dispatch experience preferred
- Military experience as a command center, Vessel Traffic Service
or search-and-rescue controller preferred
- Ability to obtain a TWIC card required
- Must reside in vicinity of Galveston, TX or be willing and able
to relocate as necessary at own expense.
- Worker will exert up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and up
to 10 pounds of force frequently
- Requires repetitive motion, hearing, talking, grasping,
fingering, climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching,
crawling and sitting
- Worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform
activities such as preparing and analyzing data and figures,
transcribing, viewing a computer terminal, and extensive reading,
as well as peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to
- The worker is subject to environmental conditions as work is
performed both inside and outside. These conditions might include
vibration, hazards, and noise.
- Medical benefits: upon completion of probation, full time
employees are eligible to participate in health/medical benefits
through Masters, Mates and Pilots plan, with coverage for
employee/immediate family members fully funded by the company.
Value estimated at up to $24,000 annually.
- Short and Long term Disability Coverage. Value estimated at
over $3,600 annually.
- 401K/Profit Sharing: upon completion of six-month probation and
vesting period, employee eligible to participate in company plan,
allowing tax benefit savings of up to $19,500 annually, with
maximum of 4.5% company matching of employee withholdings, and an
additional profit sharing.
- Work environment: small company feel with office overlooking
Galveston Harbor. Easy commute for county residents. Access to full
kitchen and coffee bar.
Keywords: GALTEX Pilots Service Corporation, Galveston , Dispatcher Trainee, Other , Galveston, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!