HCSS Patient Care Tech II
Company: University of Texas Medical Branch
Posted on: June 6, 2021
To provide technical assistance and supportive patient care to
meet the needs of individual patients throughout areas,in the float
pool as assigned to various ares in Galveston, Clear Lake, League
City and Angleton.
MAJOR DUTIES / CRITICAL TASKS:
- Contributes to the success of UTMB Health Care Systems
- Collects, reports, and documents data: Vital signs, height and
weight, intake and output, pulse oximetry, and collects
- Performs and reports POCT.
- Assists with patient activities and care as assigned by the
charge nurse/designee as indicated by the patient's plan of
- Provides for patients' personal hygiene: Bathes the patient;
performs oral suctioning and superficial wound care; assists with
chronic wound care; provides skin care for patient with TED hose,
SCD, casts, skeletal pins; assists with elimination; cares for the
incontinent patient; cares for the patient with a urinary catheter;
assists or gives cleansing enemas, sitz baths, non-sterile douches,
and provides ostomy care.
- Assists with feeding.
- Ambulates, positions, and turns patients and cares for the
patient with altered mobility.
- Assists with patient safety related to age and condition:
Assists with patient restraints, assists with patient specific
safety precautions, collects, reports and documents data related to
patient needs/emergencies and usual patient and family behavior,
and cares for the patient from a correctional environment
- Maintains patient privacy and confidentiality of information
and records at all times.
- Provides and maintains a clean, safe environment and performs
and/or assists others to perform proper aseptic technique,
isolation procedures, and infection control measures
- Maintains patient care areas with appropriate supplies.
- Assists with patient requests for other hospital services.
- Adheres to internal controls established for the
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and/or in written
- Customer service orientation and values.
- Ability to negotiate solutions and outcomes.
- Team player.
- Ability to maximize people and financial resources.
- Ability to work in partnership with management and staff.
REQUIRED EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or equivalent AND completion of one (1) of
the following technical programs:
- Medical Corpsman program and one (1) year functioning as a
clinical or specialty technician assisting emergency and health
care providers in a medical treatment facility; MUST BE ACTIVE
- Completion of EMT program as verified by the Texas Department
of Health and one (1) year in an emergency care setting assisting
- Must have current CPR certification obtained through the
American Heart Association (AHA)
- Must be able to perform clinical competency meeting criteria as
outlined in the PCT II competency based orientation tool.
- Ability to work in at least three (3) of the following areas:
Medical/Surgical; Pediatrics; Emergency Department; Critical Care;
- Has obtained and provided documentation of completion of six
(6) or more of the following:
POCT Test Site Manager
Telemetry setup and maintenance
Patient Care Technician trainer/preceptor
Omnicell super user
- Oxygen and suction setup and recognition
- Standard patient care supplies, equipment, and mechanical
- Standard hospital environment.
- Work environment is located in a comfortable indoor area.
- Conditions such as noise, odors, cramped work space and/or
fumes could sometimes cause discomfort.
- Moderate to extreme physical effort may be required, such as
walking, standing, performing CPR, and lifting materials,
equipment, objects, and/or patients.
- Occasional lifting may be very heavy and awkward, over 50
- Vision, hearing, talking, and sense of touch abilities must be
adequate to enable one to quickly and accurately perform tasks such
as reading small print, reading from monitoring equipment, defining
details, sending and receiving clear and accurate oral
- Shift work is required at least 3 days per month.
- Alertness and careful attention to detail will be required to
- May be exposed to such occupational hazards as communicable
diseases, bloodborne pathogens, ionizing & non-ionizing radiation,
hazardous medications and disoriented or combative patients or
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
regularly required to sit, hand/ finger dexterity, and type on a
computer keyboard. Specific vision abilities required by this job
include regularly working on a Visual Display Terminal (VDT), close
vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the
ability to adjust focus. Includes intermittent physical activity
such as bending, reaching and lifting up to 10 pounds.
- The employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Keywords: University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston , HCSS Patient Care Tech II, Other , Galveston, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!