Vice President and Chief Information Officer
Company: University of Texas Medical Branch
Posted on: June 6, 2021
The Vice President and Chief Information Officer (CIO) serves as
the senior administrator and lead advisor on information technology
for UTMB. The CIO is responsible for providing vision, leadership,
and management to develop and implement information technology
plans and strategies that support the mission and goals of the
Institution. Works collaboratively with the other members of
executive leadership to ensure information technology supports and
enables all areas of UTMB. Directs the planning and provision of
information technology services in the institution. Ensures timely,
high-quality, and highly-reliable information technology service
for the institution. Provides vision and leadership for
institutional-wide technical infrastructure and applications.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Establishes service level metrics to monitors operational
- Ensures that Information Services customers receive services in
a seamless, consistent, and secure manner and that those services
are delivered in a customer service oriented and professional
manner through a managed change process.
- Establishes core Information Services standards that are
continuously reviewed for consistency, technical merit, and
applicability to current customer needs.
- Identifies appropriate internal controls for department;
provides mechanisms to monitor and enforce compliance.
- Maintains an effective IT governance process and utilizes the
IT governance structure to set the overall direction for the IT
organization and to determine long-term and annual IT
- Works closely with the Associate Vice President for Library
Services and Academic Resources to ensure Information Services
appropriately supports educational technology solutions.
- Understands and implements policies and procedures and
maintains an internal control system to ensure that activities and
business transactions comply with relevant rules, policies, and
- Regularly reviews and evaluates the quality of services, daily
operations, and support systems and implements strategies to
improve services and programs.
- Stays abreast of current issues in the information technology,
health care, research, and academic medicine fields and applies
this knowledge where appropriate.
- Proactively recognizes issues and problems and takes the
initiative to resolve using good judgment, creativity, and
- Develops operational metrics to assess operational
effectiveness and tracks progress in achieving tactical and
- Ensures a well-maintained information technology
- Sets the mission and vision of the IT organization to foster a
business and service-oriented culture and mindset.
- Develops and maintains an IT workforce with the appropriate mix
of business knowledge, health care knowledge, technical skills and
competencies that balance the needs between growing the business
and ensuring the core IT functions are reliable, stable and
- Oversees Information Services' divisions including Clinical
Information Systems, Administrative Information Systems,
Correctional Managed Care Technical Operations, Business
Intelligence and Data Administration, Voice, Network & Video
Services, Technical Services, Operational Security, Client
Services, Administrative Support, and IS Business Operations.
- Coordinates and participates in information technology related
procurement activities such as search committees, interviews,
RFI's, RFP's, and contracts for various technical resources,
applications, and staff, as required.
- Manages the Information Services operating, service center, and
capital budgets totaling approximately $100M. Manages a staff of
- Assumes responsibility for his or her work as well as that
produced by the department and ensures that work is completed
effectively and in a timely fashion.
- Assesses the capabilities of staff members and provides needed
guidance, information, and mentorship.
- Fosters an environment that values diversity, equity and
inclusion and sustains multiculturalism.
- Evaluates staffing levels, develops projections, and assigns
resources to meet operational needs.
- Provides fiscal management, ensuring responsible budget
allocations and expenditures.
- Designs, implements, and provides management oversight for all
IT disaster recovery and business continuity plans. Is a key
contributor to institutional emergency preparedness.
- Initiates, develops, and supports staff development
- Maintains an awareness of and follows all Institutional
Policies and Procedures.
External Relations and Development
- Serves as the Information Resources Manager (IRM) for the
Institution. The Information Resources Manager (IRM) ensures that
integrated information resources (IR) are acquired appropriately,
implemented effectively, are secure, and are compliant with federal
and state law and agency policies.
- Ensures UTMB is represented on the Lonestar Education and
Research Network (LEARN) board of directors.
- Maintains effective contacts with UTMB personnel at the
appropriate levels and obtains the cooperation of other personnel
throughout the institution in completing work.
- Represents UTMB's Information Services' office to UT System,
other UT components, outside agencies, and state and national
- Has a clear understanding of the mission and vision of the
institution and is knowledgeable about the institution's operations
- Demonstrates ability to develop, present, and gain approval for
- Within a framework of collaboration that includes broad-based
input, develops and implements the institutional information
technology strategies and plans.
- Contributes to and ensures IT plans align with the
Institutional strategic plan and mission-area operating plans.
Personal and Professional
- Inspires confidence and respect from institutional leadership,
faculty, staff, and other contacts within the institution.
- Uses tact in relationships with associates and others within
- Demonstrates a positive, professional attitude.
- Assumes active roles in professional organizations, and seeks
leadership positions, when appropriate.
- Enhances skills and knowledge by maintaining an active personal
continuing education program.
Cybersecurity, Audit, and Compliance
- Responsible for all aspects of operational information
security. Works closely with the Associate Vice President for
Information Security to ensure that information resources are well
- Is a key contributor to information security strategy and
ensures a strong information security posture for the
- Maintains a broad understanding information security risks,
current threats, and key initiatives required to mitigate and/or
eliminate those risks and/or threats. Ensures all key
vulnerabilities are addressed timely.
- Is the primary Audit and Compliance liaison for Information
- Is familiar with HIPAA and FERPA and the appropriate general
controls to ensure compliance with each.
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Business, Finance or
- At least 10 years of relevant work experience, with a minimum
of 5 years in a senior management position leading significant
organizations, departments, or departmental subdivisions.
- Managerial experience with overseeing large budgets, customer
needs analysis, and a large project portfolio.
- Able to work well with people and communicate to a variety of
- Healthcare, research, education, and business knowledge as it
relates to information technology.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute a strategic people
plan that ensures that the right people are in the right roles at
the right time and that employees are highly engaged and
- Exceptional leadership skills with the ability to develop and
communicate an IT vision that inspires and motivates IT staff and
aligns to the business strategy.
- Ability to instill confidence in the business and demonstrate
the business value of IT.
- Effective influencing and negotiation skills in an environment
with multiple customers and where resources may not be in direct
control of this role.
- Excellent analytical, strategic conceptual thinking, strategic
planning and execution skills.
- Strong business acumen, including industry, domain-specific
knowledge of the enterprise and its business units.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including
the ability to explain digital concepts and technologies to
business leaders, and business concepts to the IT workforce.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment
without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex,
gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, genetic
information, disability, veteran status, or any other basis
protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local
laws unless such distinction is required by law. As a VEVRAA
Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire
and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals
Keywords: University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston , Vice President and Chief Information Officer, Other , Galveston, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!