RN with Bachelor's degree in Nursing. Five (5) years clinical
experience which includes two (2) years of progressive management
experience (i.e. Charge Nurse, Nursing Supervisor, Nurse
Administrator, or Assistant Nurse Manager) required. Current
license or valid permit to practice professional nursing in Texas.
Certification in nursing specialty or administration required.
The Nurse Manager is accountable for the effective delivery of
competent, compassionate, and efficient care for specific patient
care unit(s) on a 24-hour basis. This includes oversight for
clinical operations and human resources, financial, and quality
Specific Job Related Duties
Human Resource Management
* Communicates with nursing staff at all levels of the
institution in a professional manner.
* Provides leadership and direction for the staff on the patient
care unit(s) while supporting and actualizing the goals of the
department, division, service, hospital, and university.
* Recruits and retains competent, compassionate staff while
monitoring performance standards and promoting fair labor
* Promotes a work environment that demonstrates caring by
accessibility of safe equipment and adequate supplies in an
efficiently arranged physical setting.
* Achieves performance outcomes through engagement of the
* Leads by example implementing management techniques and
practices that create an environment that attracts and retains
* Mentors staff and objectively evaluates and documents
performance, taking corrective action as appropriate.
* Completes employee performance evaluations according to
* Provides professional guidance to ensure the highest quality
care is available to patients and appropriate standards of care
that meet national, state, and local rules and regulations as well
as voluntary accreditation standards of the JCAHO are
* Works closely with the Director, Patient Care and Assistant
Chief Nursing Officer to project and prepare annual operating
* Monitors fiscal budget to control operational and capital
expenditures while monitoring and adjusting staffing patterns to
improve unit productivity.
* Seeks direction from Director, Patient Care and Assistant
Chief Nursing Officer to facilitate the development of plans to
enhance revenue production while decreasing cost and
* Reviews departmental productivity reports and develop variance
summaries to Director, Patient Care and Assistant Chief Nursing
Officer to ensure operation within the financial budgetary
constraints while assuring strategic goals for patient care
services are achieved.
* Operationalizes and participates in continuous quality
improvement and risk management programs at the unit(s) level in a
collaborative manner with multi-disciplinary colleagues.
* Monitors patient care operations, and related programs,
initiating appropriate changes, where necessary.
* Responsible for nursing policy and practices, assuring their
consistency with requirements specified by the Texas Nurse Practice
Act and other legal and regulatory mandates.
* Supports quality related programs at the unit level, including
but not limited to patient satisfaction with nursing, nurse
satisfaction, the nursing aspects of the National Patient Safety
Goals, Joint Commission requirements for nursing / nurses, and the
nursing aspects for specialty quality standards (e.g. critical
care, disease management, etc.)
* Demonstrates transparency with the clinical staff regarding
clinical indicators Planning and Evaluation
Preferred Work Experience
Cath/EP Lab management experience is required.
Preferred Work Experience
This position entails managing the daily operations of a busy
department including echo, electrophysiology, cardiac cath, and
prep and recovery. The nurse manager will be responsible for
personnel management of 28 direct reports including nurses,
radiologic technologists, and ancillary staff. The manager will:
participate in system wide initiatives regarding performance
improvement r/t invasive cardiology, maintain responsibility for
the operational budget, staffing, scheduling and efficient
management of hospital resources, and serve as a liaison between
physicians and administrators.
Equal Employment Opportunity
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment
without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion,
disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression,
genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal
Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and
advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with
Req id: 71968