HCSS Surgical Technologist II
Company: UTMB Health
Posted on: September 14, 2023
To provide advanced level technical assistance to the surgical team
before, during, and following surgery. Expertly assists in surgical
operations under the supervision of the surgeons and registered
nurses to facilitate the safe and effective conduct of invasive
surgical procedures, ensuring that the operating room environment
is safe, that the equipment functions properly, and that the
operative procedure is conducted under conditions that maximize
MAJOR DUTIES/CRITICAL TASKS:
- Checks supplies and equipment for the surgical procedure.
- Sets sterile table appropriate instruments, supplies, sterile
drapes, and solutions
including medications needed on the sterile field.
- Scrubs in prescribed manner and dons sterile gown and
- Gowns and gloves surgeons and assistants
- Performs sponge, needle, and instrument counts
- Assists in positioning, skin preparation and draping of
- Passes instruments required during surgery to the surgeon
- Maintains highest standard of sterile technique during the
- Assists with postoperative dressings
- Cleans and prepares surgical instruments for terminal
- Assumes accountability in maintaining tray inventory after each
- Assists as circulator or scrub person in all specialties
- Collaborates with the service coordinator in submitting
purchase order requests for specialty supplies
- Manages and monitors specialty supplies
- Assists in training students and new employees
- Helps transfer patients to and from the operating table to the
- Assists in preparing the Surgical Operating Suite for the next
- Follows processes that promote Surgical Operating Suite
efficiency such as First Case Starts and Case Turnover times
- Supports new programs and provides updates to the surgeon
- Able to scrub in multiple surgical services efficiently
- Participates actively in team building and retention of staff
within designated surgical
- Adheres to internal controls established for department
- Performs related duties as required.
Requires the ability to communicate effectively verbally and in
REQUIRED EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE/:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Completion of a Surgical Technologist Program or an appropriate
training program for surgical technology in the Armed Services of
the United States or in the United States Public Health
- Current certification as a surgical technologist
- Five years of hospital or surgical center experience
- Current BLS certification obtained through American Heart
Standard operating room equipment and surgical instruments.
Standard surgical operating suite environment.
OTHER: Specific job requirements or physical location of some
positions allocated to this classification, may render this
position security sensitive, and thereby subject to the provisions
of Section 51.215, Texas Education Code.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents in lieu of
stated minimums require the prior approval of the Administrative
Director of Human Resources.
Keywords: UTMB Health, Galveston , HCSS Surgical Technologist II, Healthcare , Galveston, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!