Senior Vice President & Dean - School of Public and Population Health
Company: UTMB Health
Posted on: August 5, 2022
For application assistance, please email email@example.com
Representatives are available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to
5 p.m. CST. Job Description - Senior Vice President & Dean - School
of Public and Population Health (2202885) Senior Vice President &
Dean - School of Public and Population Health - ( 2202885 ) Job
Summary: The Dean and Senior Vice President for the School of
Public and Population Health is the chief academic and
administrative officer who sets a vision for the School, supports
its goals, and helps faculty become nationally recognized experts
in their field. The Dean is responsible for the overall
administrative leadership for academic matters including new
program development and approval; program quality; educational
methods; regional and specialty accreditation; assessment and
evaluation of students, faculty and programs; faculty and staff
development; policy development and implementation ensuring
adherence to federal and state laws governing education;
development of strategic partnerships for learning and professional
development resources; monitoring of trends and implementing
suitable changes all while providing effective leadership for
planning, growth, and program improvement. The Dean must be an
advocate of the School's role in the University's academic,
teaching and research missions, advance the School's initiatives
within the University, and effectively articulate the School's
contributions and perspectives in local, regional, national, and
international forums related to, healthcare and policy. The Dean
leads the School to promote an environment conducive to
multidisciplinary endeavors to advance innovative educational
programs and to facilitate practice initiatives. The Dean also
works to develop funding for the School. Scope: School of Public
and Population Health Essential Job Functions:
- Identifies the priorities for the School, obtains
organizational agreement within the School and then develops an
implementation and communication plan to achieve successful
- Develops, facilitates, and supports an outstanding
multi-disciplinary research program supported by external
- Translates advances in evidenced based practice into models of
care that fulfill the ability of the practitioner to practice "at
the top of their license" in delivering high quality care.
- Contributes to University performance metrics and improves
national rankings relevant to departments in the School.
- Establishes and oversees mechanisms to support faculty in
maintaining a clinical practice in addition to their teaching and
scholarly activities, if applicable.
- Enhances administrative, academic and research relationships
with other UTMB entities, including contributing to the UTMB
leadership team, actively promoting inter-professional education,
and facilitating transdisciplinary research.
- Engages the community (community groups, economic development
groups, foundations, philanthropists, business leaders, companies,
and elected officials) to build an esprit de corps and effectively
convey to all stakeholders the vision and direction of the
- Coordinates the formulation of objectives, policies, plans and
programs that maintain and enhance their strategic, financial, and
programmatic positioning in the market.
- Provides direction and is responsible for the overall results
of the School in terms of meeting pre-determined organizational
objectives including, importantly, direction and oversight of the
divisions of the School. -
- Ensures the development and implementation of sound fiscal
policy, procedures, and control systems necessary to assure the
sound financial performance of the School. -
- Establishes and maintains an effective organization for
managing the affairs of the School.
- Maintains an optimal environment to foster a continuous
productive dialogue with students, faculty, community providers and
administrative representatives of the School.
- Recruits, retains, develops, and mentors School leaders
including track administrators, directors, associate deans, and
assistant deans to guide education, research, and clinical care of
the highest quality within their departments.
- Inspires, motivates, and provides mentorship to generate high
morale and enhanced teamwork leading to a high level of motivation
- Assesses and implements initiatives to improve the graduate
education programs of study.
- Personally publishes books, articles and/or abstracts in
recognized scientific publications and encourages and mentors
School leaders and their faculty to do the same.
- Plays a leadership role at the Federal, State, and local level
in effectively advocating for adequate funding for education and
- Collaborates with Program Directors and others to prepare
reports related to academic matters for various constituents and
audiences, e.g., SPPH administration, budgetary meetings.
- Is the primary Liaison from the School of Public and Population
Health to University, School of Medicine, School of Health
Professions, School of Nursing and Graduate School of Biomedical
Sciences as well as serves on the Council of Deans Academic Affairs
- Contributes to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
("SACS") reaffirmation. -
- Recommends faculty member appointments to hold Professorships
and Endowments assigned to the School. - Marginal or Periodic
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Vice President,
Provost Minimum Qualifications: M.D., Ph.D, Ed.D or equivalent
terminal degree is required along with a minimum of 6 years of
relevant experience in an administrative capacity. An exceptional
leadership record at a top ranked school, academic health center,
or health system in a senior level administrative position.
Ideally, this experience would be obtained in a similar
interdisciplinary environment with NIH funding. - Preferred
Qualifications: The preferred candidate will have graduated from an
accredited program, have a PhD, or equivalent degree and 10 or more
years relevant experience in an administrative capacity. A record
of successful innovation, a demonstrated ability to lead teams
effectively, and demonstrated scholarship through teaching awards,
publications, and extramurally funded research. Service on state
and/or national organizations is preferred. -
- Possesses the executive presence, professionalism, and
communication abilities that can inspire an organization to do its
best and stay the course even in difficult circumstances.
- Possesses a collaborative and entrepreneurial leadership style
characterized by upfront and direct communications and results
- A visible and accessible leader to the faculty, the students,
and the community.
- Warm, friendly, and interpersonally agile; easy to approach and
talk to; relates well to all kinds of people; makes a pleasant
first impression and builds solid relationships.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems in familiar and
- Creative, a visionary who can manage innovation; is an
effective strategist full of ideas and possibilities; sees multiple
futures; has broad interests and knowledge; can both create and
bring exciting ideas to market; comfortable speculating about
alternative futures without all of the data.
- Politically aware and agile; knows what the right thing to do
is; presents views well.
- At ease and relaxed, easy to talk to and get to know; listens
attentively; deals calmly with stress and gives people a chance to
- Has effective written and oral communications skills; works
well in a team environment and has a track record of developing
effective and trusted relationships at all levels of the
- Demonstrated success in aligning various stakeholders' needs
and expectations and leading through successful style of
negotiation to 'win-win' solutions.
- Strategic focus with ability to delegate and hold accountable
multiple high-functioning direct reports.
- Ability to work constructively with new and existing external
- Demonstrated ability to balance School affairs with
institutional priorities and to identify actions necessary to
complete tasks and obtain results. UTMB Health strives to provide
equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color,
religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation,
gender identity/expression, genetic information, disability,
veteran status, or any other basis protected by institutional
policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction
is required by law. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health
takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities,
protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Primary
Location United States-Texas-Galveston Work Locations 1150 - Ewing
Hall 301 University Blvd. Ewing Hall, rm 1.116 Galveston 77555 -
1150 Job Executive Organization UTMB Health : Regular Shift
Standard Employee Status Exec / Faculty / Physician Job Level Day
Job Job Posting May 23, 2022, 3:49:26 PM For application
assistance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org Representatives are
available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST.
Keywords: UTMB Health, Galveston , Senior Vice President & Dean - School of Public and Population Health, Healthcare , Galveston, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!