HCSS PACU Registered Nurse - PACU - Post Anesthetic Care
Company: The University of Texas Medical Branch
Posted on: August 3, 2022
HCSS PACU Registered NurseJOB SUMMARY:
Competent Clinician. Possesses knowledge and skill to meet
standards for competent professional nursing practice as specified
in the Texas Nurse Practice Act. Experienced, knowledgeable, and
skilled in specialty area. Competently functions as a member of the
interdisciplinary team. Practice is characterized by predominantly
interdependent decision-making. Practice is problem focused and
patient centered in the manner care is provided. Able to manage
unexpected or emergency situations that are commonly seen in
assigned specialty population. Serves as a resource for Nurse
Clinician I or II. Can manage commonly seen contingency situations
that arise on the clinical unit. Provides patient care through
nursing practices based upon the American Nurses Association
Standards of Professional Practice, and Professional Performance.
Values specialty unit, nursing, and institutional strategic
initiatives and health system goals.
MAJOR DUTIES / CRITICAL TASKS:
* Competently and independently assesses, plans, implements,
evaluates, and documents the daily care of assigned patients
* Competently identifies patient care needs, formulates appropriate
nursing diagnoses, develops, and individualizes care plan, and
revises plan of care as needed
* Competently executes physician's orders for all assigned
patients. Administers medications and treatments and delivers
culturally congruent and specialty appropriate competent nursing
care in accordance with UTMB's policies, procedures, and standards
in a caring and compassionate manner
* Competently and independently performs routine and complex
technical procedures/skills in assigned specialty area
* Patient/Family Teaching & Health Promotion
* Provides uncomplicated and complex patient/family instruction and
healthcare teaching based on identified learning needs (patient
values, beliefs, barriers, and readiness to learn)
* Coaches others in strategies for patient/family inclusion and
serves as a resource to others for patients/families with complex
* Identifies potential impact of family dynamics*
* Utilizes evidence-based resources to provide patient/family
* Utilizes evidence-based teaching strategies such as Teach-Back,
AskMe3--, return demonstration, etc.
Care Coordination & Delegation
* Competently and independently plans, coordinates, and prioritizes
patient care activities according to skill level and work
* Maintains safety and continuity of care using methods such as
bedside shift report, hand-off tools/processes, inter-disciplinary
care rounds, etc.; Role models and coaches others to utilize these
* Demonstrates flexibility in time management to manage changing
patient priorities; coaches and supports others to plan, coordinate
and prioritize care
* Demonstrates competent use of technology in the delivery of
patient care and serves as a resource and provides trouble shooting
support to others
* Delegates appropriately; may seek guidance or clarification of
non-routinely delegated tasks
Ethics (legal/regulatory), Advocacy & Culturally Congruent Care
* Identifies ethical situations and initiates appropriate
communication/consultation to address
* Delivers culturally congruent care using available resources to
meet the needs of patient/family; recognizes situations in which
personal bias may influence
* Serves as a patient advocate; may seek guidance/assistance in
Communication & Collaboration
* Supports healthy work environment by demonstrating respectful
verbal and non-verbal communication with all members of the
healthcare team; may seek support with challenging communication
issues; addresses behavior that does not support respectful
* Recognizes colleagues when they go above and beyond in
demonstrating UTMB's core values.
* Plans, coordinates, and prioritizes patient care activities in
collaboration/communication with inter-professional team, including
* Recognizes informal and formal unit/hospital leaders and can
educate colleagues regarding unit/hospital leadership
* Recognizes unit, nursing, and institutional strategic initiatives
and health system goals
* Recognizes the importance of financial responsibility to promote
fiscal health for the patient, unit, and organization
* Demonstrates openness to change by actively seeking knowledge and
needed information; uses positive communication and role modeling
to promote understanding of change to colleagues
* Functions as a unit leader, providing direction and assistance to
* Mentors others and promotes professional development of less
Education, Evidence-Based Practice & Research
* Actively attends/participates in unit meetings/activities and
supports the philosophy and goals of the unit/department and
* Actively participates in shared leadership at the unit level;
encourages colleague participation*
* Attends presentations, professional development activities;
encourages attendance/participation of colleagues
* Participates in one journal club annually*
* Shares educational findings, experiences, and ideas with
colleagues through shared leadership meetings, presentations,
professional development activities*
* Mentors others and develops learning opportunities
* Demonstrates commitment to lifelong learning (evidence-based
practice, specialty certification, advanced degree)
* Demonstrates knowledge and utilization of evidence-based
resources to guide patient care; coaches colleagues to utilize
Quality, Resources & Safety
* Identifies patient safety concerns, and reports appropriately;
addresses immediate safety concerns appropriately
* Coaches others regarding unit quality metrics/outcomes data and
improvement activities; actively engages in discussion, activities
related to unit goals; Participates in systematic processes to
achieve quality outcomes
* Demonstrates self-care through practices that support personal
well-being, personal safety, and injury prevention
* Serves as a resource to colleagues regarding the Electronic
Health Record; identifies opportunities for system improvements and
communicates ideas via appropriate channels
* Completes required specialty specific Competency Based
Orientation (CBO) tools by the initial performance evaluation due
date for placement in employee file.
* Actively participates in the initial and ongoing evaluation of
competency using Competency Based Orientation (CBO) tools and
e-performance nursing evaluation.
* Completes the annual self-evaluation on time for competency and
* Performs and reports point of care testing (POCT).
* Prioritizes and organizes work so that required assignments are
completed within a specified time frame.
* Provides and maintains a clean, safe environment and performs
and/or assists others to perform proper aseptic technique,
isolation procedures and infection control measures.
* Demonstrates acceptable productivity and practices cost
containment for the unit/hospital and the patient.
* Competently and consistently completes accurate, concise, and
legible documentation on all patient, unit, and hospital records
(including care delivery and telephone patient related
* Competently utilizes electronic forms of communication and
* Meets periodic UTMB and unit specific compliance requirements for
health screening, training, attendance, safety, and CPR and
* Adheres to internal controls and reporting structure.
* Performs related duties as required.
REQUIRED EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
* RN with current license or valid permit to practice professional
nursing in Texas.
* Two (2) years of inpatient hospital experience as a PACU,
critical care, or ICU RN within the last 2 years.
* Must have current BLS and ACLS certification obtained through
American Heart Association (AHA)
* Able to use equipment and related supplies for a selected patient
* Able to use mechanical devices, such as those used in
cardiopulmonary resuscitation, oxygen administration, and
* Able to use related computer equipment.
* Work environment is in a comfortable indoor area.
* Conditions such as noise, odors, cramped workspace and/or fumes
could sometimes cause discomfort.
* Moderate to extreme physical effort may be required, such as
walking, standing, performing CPR, and lifting materials,
equipment, objects, and/or patients.
* Occasional lifting may be very heavy and awkward, over 50
* Vision, hearing, talking, and sense of touch abilities must be
adequate to enable one to perform tasks quickly and accurately such
as reading small print, reading from monitoring equipment, defining
details, sending, and receiving clear and accurate oral
* Alertness and careful attention to detail will be required to
* May be exposed to such occupational hazards as communicable
diseases, radiation, chemotherapeutic agents, and disoriented or
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents in lieu of
stated minimums require the prior approval of the Executive
Director of Human Resources.
* Hiring Range: 60.00
Keywords: The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston , HCSS PACU Registered Nurse - PACU - Post Anesthetic Care, Healthcare , Galveston, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!