Professional Student Nurse (10231)
Company: University of Texas Medical Branch
Posted on: November 17, 2020
- To provide technical and supportive patient care functions for
assigned specialty areas. MAJOR DUTIES / CRITICAL TASKS:
- Contributes to the success of UTMB Health Care Systems
- Assists with the admission, transfer and discharge of
- Assists patient with activities of daily living and provides
support/comfort measures, incorporating the patient's plan of
- Responds to call lights in a timely manner.
- Provides age appropriate interaction and care as defined in the
- Obtains vital signs.
- Uses aseptic technique and infection control measures in the
performance of duties..
- Measures and records intake and output as appropriate.
- Prepares and assists patients undergoing treatments and
- Under the direction of a RN, provide other treatments and care
to patients appropriate to training, as assigned.
- Accurately documents and communicates interventions and
- Communicates relevant information to appropriate health care
- Assists in maintaining a clean and safe environment.
- Check equipment/supplies for expiration dates electrical safety
tags, intactness and usability..
- Respects and supports patient/family rights.
- Practices principles of patient and employee
- Participates in and supports continuous quality improvement
activities at the unit/departmental level.
- Demonstrates acceptable productivity and practices cost
- Prioritizes and completes all work in an effective and
- Demonstrates initiative, resourcefulness and flexibility. --
- Customer service orientation and values.
- Team player.
- Ability to maximize people and financial resources.
- Ability to work in partnership with management, staff, patient,
and patient's family REQUIRED EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
Education/experience includes the following:
- Current enrollment in nursing school with completion of
introductory nursing coursework first semester
- Letter of recommendation from Dean of nursing program or
- Must have current CPR certification (AHA) -- EQUIPMENT:
- Able to use equipment and related supplies for a selected
- Able to use mechanical devices as appropriate.
- Able to use related computer equipment WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
- Work environment is located in a comfortable indoor area.
- Conditions such as noise, odors, cramped work space and/or
fumes could sometimes cause discomfort.Moderate to extreme physical
effort such as walking, standing, performing CPR and lifting
materials, equipment, objects and/or patients may be required.
- Occasional lifting may be heavy and awkward over 50 lbs.
- Vision, hearing, talking and sense of touch must be adequate to
enable one to quickly and accurately perform tasks such as reading
small print, defining details, sending and receiving clear and
accurate oral communication.
- Frequent periods of concentrated or focused attention will be
needed to interpret visual, auditory and sensory inputs.
- Shift work may be required.
- Alertness and careful attention to detail will be required to
- May be exposed to such occupational hazards as communicable
diseases, bloodborne pathogens, ionizing & non-ionizing radiation,
hazardous medications and disoriented or combative patients or
- May be required to be on standby and work extended shifts in
situations deemed necessary by the Chief Nursing Officer and/or
- Specific job requirements or physical location of some
positions allocated to this classification may render the position
security-sensitive, and thereby subject to the provisions of
Section 51.215, Texas Education Code. --
UTMB HealthCare Systems (HCSS) strives to provide equal opportunity
employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex,
age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, genetic information or veteran status. HCSS takes
affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected
veterans and individuals with disabilities. HCSS is the official
internal float pool for clinical and non-clinical services for UTMB
and its associated facilities in Galveston and the surrounding
Keywords: University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston , Professional Student Nurse (10231), Healthcare , Galveston, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!