Surgical Technologist (3880)
Company: University of Texas Medical Branch
Posted on: September 13, 2020
JOB SUMMARY: -- The Surgical Technologist performs direct and
indirect technical tasks for patient before, during and after
surgical interventions. The primary function of this position is
the scrub person role. MAJOR DUTIES / CRITICAL TASKS:
- Contributes to the successful operations of UTMB HealthCare
- Assists with preparation of the operating suite including
selection and checking of supplies, equipment, and operating room
and operating table.
- Provides scrub service for procedures as designated by
- Assists with application of dressings, casts, and splints.
- Assists with transfer of patient to and from operating
- Prepares operating room for next procedures.
- Transports specimens.
- Second Assistant duties.
- Provides technical and supportive patient care functions
including age appropriate care as defined by department.
- Respects and supports patient/family rights.
- Practices positive guest and peer relations.
- Participates in and supports quality improvement
- Demonstrates acceptable productivity and practices cost
- Functions as an interdependent and supportive team member.
- Accepts responsibility for own growth/development.
- Adheres to internal controls established for department.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Requires the ability to communicate effectively verbally and in
writing. REQUIRED EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE/: --
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Completion of a Surgical Technologist Program.
- Current Certification as a Surgical Technologist
- Two years of hospital or surgical center experience EQUIPMENT:
-- -- Standard operating room equipment and surgical instruments.
- May be exposed to such occupational hazards as communicable
diseases, bloodborne pathogens, ionizing & non-ionizing radiation,
hazardous medications and disoriented or combative patients or
others. PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
regularly required to sit, hand/ finger dexterity, and type on a
computer keyboard.Specific vision abilities required by this job
include regularly working on a Visual Display Terminal (VDT), close
vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the
ability to adjust focus.Includes intermittent physical activity
such as bending, reaching and lifting up to 10 pounds.
- The employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Employee may travel by automobile and is exposed to changing
weather conditions and various city and residential
- Intermittent physical activity including bending, reaching and
prolonged periods of sitting.
- Incumbent will be exposed to virus, disease and infection from
patients and specimens in working environment.
- Incumbent will be required to work at any facility and be
responsible for own transportation.
- Incumbent will be scheduled based on operational need. (rotate
shifts, standby, AA, on-call)
- Incumbent may be required to work extended periods of time at a
video display terminal (VDT).
- Incumbent may experience traumatic situations including
psychiatric, dismembered and deceased patients. OTHER: Specific job
requirements or physical location of some positions allocated to
this classification, may render this position security sensitive,
and thereby subject to the provisions of Section 51.215, Texas
Education Code. --
UTMB HealthCare Systems (HCSS) strives to provide equal opportunity
employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex,
age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, genetic information or veteran status. HCSS takes
affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected
veterans and individuals with disabilities. HCSS is the official
internal float pool for clinical and non-clinical services for UTMB
and its associated facilities in Galveston and the surrounding
Keywords: University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston , Surgical Technologist (3880), Healthcare , Galveston, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!