Director, Research Accounting - Research Administration
Company: CTI Education Group
Posted on: April 8, 2021
For application assistance, please email email@example.com
Representatives are available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to
5 p.m. CST. JOB SUMMARY: Provides leadership in the management and
continuous improvement of all post-award financial management
activities of externally sponsored activities. Provides guidance
and oversight to the post-award life cycle of sponsored programs
including, but not limited to, managing budgets in the
institutional financial system, preparing and submitting financial
status reports, billing and accounts receivable of contracts and
sub-recipient agreements, and award close-out for an externally
sponsored portfolio of $130M. This position will also be
responsible for the preparation and negotiation of indirect cost
rates, provide costing guidance as appropriate for research cores
and service centers, and revise the cost accounting disclosure
statement as needed. Provides input to financial management system
owners regarding the needs to effectively account for grant and
contract revenues and expenditures. Works closely with principal
investigators and departmental support staff regarding budgets,
prior approvals, and submission of scientific progress reports.
This position will be an active member of the Research
Administration Leadership Team and a member of research operations
and compliance committees. The incumbent is responsible for
maintaining a professional environment that promotes compliant
business policies and procedures and work with research faculty and
staff in a supportive partnership focused on value-added customer
service. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provide day-day leadership of the operations of the grants and
contracts accounting office.
- Supervise professional and clerical staff, including hiring,
training, performance appraisal, discipline and termination.
- Develop staff to provide the highest quality grant and contract
accounting services to faculty and department support staff. Ensure
staff competency. Provide professional and personal development
through sound performance management practices.
- Coordinate grant and contract accounting training.
- Review and revise business processes to ensure best practices
are in place and that appropriate internal controls exist to assure
grant and contract revenues and expenditures are accounted for in
accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Develop, monitor and report significant metrics/key performance
indicators to Associate Vice President for areas of
- Assure subsidiary ledgers reconcile to the general ledger.
These sub ledgers include project costing, accounts receivable,
billing, and contracts.
- Update and maintain sponsored project polices and procedures to
provide assurance of compliance with institutional and UT System
policies, sponsor guidelines, and Federal and State laws pertaining
to sponsored program administration.
- Implement and maintain procedures to ensure timely, accurate
month-end and fiscal year-end accounting close processes and assist
with the preparation of monthly and annual financial
- Review and approve journal entries.
- Collaborate with leadership in the Office of Sponsored Programs
Pre-Award Administration to ensure smooth transition of new
- Monitor grant and contract accounts receivable to ensure timely
collection and establish allowance for doubtful accounts as
- Monitor deferred revenue balances to ensure that deferrals are
being recognized as appropriate.
- Provide oversight to the manager of financial status reporting
to ensure reports are filed with sponsors according to sponsor
terms and conditions.
- Provide oversight to award close out process.
- Coordinate the gathering of data for the compilation of the
indirect rate proposal to ensure the optimal rate is achieved to
allow for the Institution to be able to receive greater indirect
cost recovery on sponsored awards.
- Establish, maintain and adhere to systems and proper internal
controls to ensure the integrity of financial reports.
- In collaboration with Information Services, develop and
maintain information systems that support Financial Accounting and
Reporting service lines within areas of responsibility.
- Assist with coordination of financial audits by regulatory,
internal, external, taxing authorities, and by providing supporting
documentation as requested by auditors.
- Document and perform annual tests of Business Continuity Plans
for areas of responsibility.
- Collaborate with other UTMB Business areas to resolve
- Ensure timely, accurate responses to grant related inquiries
from customers at all levels of the Institution.
- Manages development of operational budgets.
- Manages special projects as assigned by the Associate Vice
President for Research Administration.
- Provide leadership in the use of technology and best practices
to ensure continuous process improvement
- Provide direct leadership to a team of financial professionals
through regular communication, active goal setting, and routine
coaching to model and promote behavior that aligns with UTMB's Core
- Organize and plan work to ensure appropriate prioritization and
timely deliverables MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or related field.
- Seven years of related experience in research administration
and grants management with at least three years in a supervisory
- Experience with risk monitoring, policy implementation and
managing compliance with federal government grants and contracts
and ability to interpret and apply university and sponsor policies
and procedures. PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Ten years of related experience in post award research
administration with increasing responsibilities at a major research
university with at least five years in a supervisory capacity.
- Strong background in research administration and
- Certified Research Administrator (CRA), Certified Public
Accountant (CPA) and/or Master's degree in Accounting or related
field. KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / ABILITIES:
- Ability to apply the principles and regulatory framework of the
Federal Office of Management and Budget (OMB) including financial
management and regulatory policies such as Uniform Guidance,
Federal Acquisition Regulations, and Single Audit
- Knowledge of Federal grant regulations such as the NIH Grants
Policy Statement and the NSF Grants Policy Manual.
- Ability to read and interpret grantor guidelines to assure
- Ability to lead staff of professional and clerical employees
involved in the post-award administration of externally sponsored
programs including the accounting, billing, and reporting
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the
ability to communicate with individuals at all levels within the
- Knowledge of the appropriate accounting treatments of grant and
contract revenues and expenditures in a publicly funded college or
- Knowledge of complex accounting systems, such as PeopleSoft,
Oracle, or SAP.
- Ability to analyze/evaluate data and make appropriate
- Strong organizational and planning skills with ability to
manage multiple projects.
- Ability to build and maintain complex models to support
Executive Leadership decision making.
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex problems. EQUAL
EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: UTMB Health strives to provide equal
opportunity employment without regard to race, color, religion,
age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender
identity/expression, genetic information, disability, veteran
status, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by
federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by
law. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative
action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans
and individuals with disabilities. Primary Location United
States-Texas-Galveston Work Locations 301 University Blvd. Rebecca
Sealy Hospital, rm 4.400 Galveston 77555 - 0156 Job Executive
Organization Univ. of Texas Medical Branch : Regular Shift Standard
Employee Status Director Job Level Day Job Job Posting Mar 30,
2021, 10:53:56 PM For application assistance, please email
firstname.lastname@example.org Representatives are available Monday through
Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST.
Keywords: CTI Education Group, Galveston , Director, Research Accounting - Research Administration, Executive , Galveston, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!