Assistant Administrative Director, Laboratory Services
Posted on: September 16, 2022
Assistant Administrative Director, Laboratory Services Galveston,
Texas, United States Are you excited by the prospect of change and
growth? Challenge yourself and grow with UTMB Health. Your skills
and experience have prepared you for the next phase of Professional
Development. Join us, where you will be a part of an exceptional
team with a progressive and dynamic culture, focused on an exciting
future. Discover what the Gulf Coast lifestyle has to offer.
Minutes from beaches and state parks on an island rich with history
and local culture, Galveston is also conveniently close to Houston
and the additional benefits that come with a major Metroplex. Work,
live, and grow here. Be a part of our future as we work together to
work wonders. Job Summary: To provide leadership skills in the
Department of Laboratory Services (Anatomic Pathology, Clinical
Pathology, Regional Reference Lab, and Blood Center). The Assistant
Administrative Director will provide the necessary technical and
administrative expertise to achieve optimal patient care.
Activities are to coordinate the maximum utilization of available
human and fiscal resources within the established budgetary
guidelines. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Directs the daily operation and management of all service
aspects of specific Laboratory Services Divisions and is
responsible for their efficient operation and allocation of work
flow. Adjusts nonmedical staffing as necessary.
- Analyzes, evaluates and takes appropriate actions to resolve
system problems in the various divisions.
- Participates in long-term planning of management activities
with the Administrative Director, the Medical Directors and the
Division Managers. Evaluates demographic trends, community needs
and patient treatment programs. Initiates appropriate action.
- Works in conjunction with medical staff, nursing, ancillary
personnel, and senior hospital management in the resolution of
problems involving equipment, service, communications and support
- Acts as administrative representative with other hospital
departments and outside organizations. Participates in various
hospital and departmental committees as assigned.
- Develops, revises, and implements policies and procedures.
Interprets departmental and hospital policies and assures
- Represents the department in resolution of patient and or
service related complaints.
- Plans, formulates, and manages the departmental budget for
specific Laboratory Services Divisions. Responsible for action
planning to correct fiscal variances.
- Responsible for the fiscal management of specific Laboratory
Services' Divisions to include capital and operating funds.
- Prepares cost studies and recommends technical fee schedules
based on hospital costs, payor mix, and competitive environment.
Consults on professional fees and global billing.
- Responsible for recruitment, hiring, orientation, training,
supervision, evaluation, disciplinary action and/or termination
process of classified personnel in Laboratory Services. Seeks
appropriate physician input. Responsible for initiating and
expediting personnel forms and the accurate and timely submission
- Makes provision for complying with all legal regulations
applying to institutional laboratory functions. This includes all
licenses and accreditations.
- Assumes responsibility for safe working conditions. Responsible
for coordinating all laboratory information systems and their
integration with EPIC, billing systems and other laboratory IT
- Assumes responsibility for the operation and direction of
specific Laboratory Services Divisions of the Health System,
regardless of location.
- Ensures compliance with governmental and regulatory accrediting
agencies to include: Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services,
the American Hospital Association, The Occupational Safety and
Health Administration, The Joint Commission, The Food and Drug
Administration, the American Society of Histocompatibility and
Immunogenetics, the American Association of Blood Banks and the
College of American Pathology.
- Identifies appropriate internal controls for department;
provides mechanisms to monitor and enforce compliance.
- Adheres to internal controls and reporting structure.
- Bachelor's Degree Clinical Laboratory Sciences or related
- Must have 10 years of progressively responsible laboratory
experience, including five years of management experience in a
healthcare or business environment is required.
- Certification from either the American Society of Clinical
Pathologist (ASCP), American Medical Technologists (AMT), or the
American Board of Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics (ABHI) or
- Master's Degree in Health Care Administration or Business
Administration Experience with implementation of Laboratory
Information Systems preferred.
- Experience in academic healthcare preferred.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / ABILITIES:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a high
degree of professionalism and competence in dealing with a variety
- Ability to develop, organize, and accomplish goals.
- Ability to analyze/evaluate data and make appropriate
- Leadership and management skills to direct and guide others
- Preparation and analysis of operating budgets and capital
- Effective problem-solving skills.
- General knowledge of medical terminology and trends related to
disease process and the technology available for
- Ability to implement and sustain laboratory information
- Knowledge of electronic medical records.
- Is knowledgeable about specific laboratory related OSHA
- General knowledge of medical terminology and trends related to
disease processes and the technology available for
- Ability to operate laboratory information systems.
SUPERVISION: Received: Administrative Director, Laboratory Services
Given: Managers, Pathology Quality Mgmt. Spec., Administrative
Secretary BUDGET RESPONSIBILITY: We are a part of a large academic
institution and health system with over half a billion in gross
charges, and over 400 FTE's. DECISION-MAKING RESPONSIBILITY: With
the Administrative Director of Laboratory Services, sets strategic
direction and goals for the department Accountable for compliance
with all regulatory and accrediting agencies and associated
standards. Allocates and is accountable for appropriate utilization
of all human, operating, and capital resources. Equal Employment
Opportunity UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity
employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national
origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender
identity/expression, genetic information, disability, veteran
status, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by
federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by
law. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative
action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans
and individuals with disabilities. #utmb Compensation
Keywords: UTMB, Galveston , Assistant Administrative Director, Laboratory Services, Administration, Clerical , Galveston, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!